Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Aloha oukou!!


I DID THE MOST AMAZING THING TODAY.

It's been on my list of things to do since I got here, and I am so excited that I finally did it! I WATCHED THE SUNRISE ON TOP OF A VOLCANO!! Halea'kala (the volcano) translates to "House of the Sun" in Hawai'ian so it's only fitting to go welcome the sun in the morning. The fault lines above the 'hot spot' in the Earth's crust is what created the entire set of islands that comprise Hawai'i. Being on Halea'kala is especially cool because it is the mountain that spewed out all of Maui. When you head into town, you are in the valley that separates the West Maui Mountains from Halea'kala...all from a previous eruption. Cindy let me know all about the incredible geology and how the volcano has shaped a lot of the geography on the island.  Anyways, its been written about all over about how the sunrise at Halea'kala is one of the most incredible things that you can do while on the island and I wasn't about to let that escape me while my time here dwindles. Way back when, Kahuna's would go to the top of the mountain and do their prayers, etc so the place is considered very sacred and holy. Sometimes they even have a woman who blows a conch shell to welcome the Sun. Halea'kala is some 10,000 feet above sea level and driving up the volcano is a story within itself. 

Cindy had never been to see the sunrise so somehow by the grace of God, I managed to convince her to get up at 4:15am and come with me. Considering last night was the second night I've been out in Maui, I'm totally "out of practice" and felt like crap. Thank goodness for pre-set alarms! Anyways, 4:15 on the dot Cindy was outside of the Mill and I was dressed looking like a  crazy. Leggings, Jeans, Halloween socks, trainer sneakers, long sleeve, GW Soccer sweatshirt, Padagonia windbreaker and a weird scarf thing. It's really cold on top of the volcano so you have to dress warm. I also thought a cup of tea would make me feel better....which really didn't and I tried to pour it out the window (as we were driving) while managing to burn my hands. Cindy must have known because she had water in the car. The chick saved my life. SERIOUSLY, I felt awful! The roads are incredibly windy and I don't think they believe in streetlights in Maui. It's so dark as soon as the sunsets and until it comes up. Example: last night at 9pm, I thought it was 3am and time to go home. Back to my story: the road continues to climb and climb...which was crazy terrifying because I'm a little scared of heights. Another thing I found out over here. Maybe I should modify that and say I'm scared of heights on roads that are super windy, thin, dark, and without a shoulder. Once you get to the top of the volcano and enter Halea'kala State Park there is a $10 fee to park your car. Considering its such a huge attraction, the park makes a ton of money. I think its great that they can invest into preserving their wildlife, national parks, etc. We continued to drive up this incredibly windy, thin, road into the sky until we reached the very top. There were a couple of turn offs that you could park in and each had little seating areas facing the sunrise so that spectators could be somewhat comfortable, considering its FREEZING at 4am. When you arrive, the sky is pitch black and littered with millions of stars. It was so clear that we could see Venus clearly without a telescope or anything. The best star gazing in the entire world just HAS to be on top of a volcano. Its absolutely incredible. 

Cindy and I got there at about 5:30am, parked and got ready to 'watch the Sun arrive home'. We got there just as the night was beginning to change colors and perched ourselves (wrapped in blankets) on one of the many volcanic rocks around. Would you believe the best cure to a hangover is fresh air? Honestly, the air up there made me feel instantaneously better. REAL AIR. Crisp, fresh, untouched. The colors the sky transforms into are absolutely incredible. It went from a deep navy blue, to a purple, to a light blue, to an orange, finally a pink and yellow. Absolutely unbelievable. At 10,000 feet, you're above the clouds and its almost as if you are looking at a bed of clouds. It almost seems as if you could walk onto them; these perfect little puffs of whiteness that almost look like steam from a boiling kettle. Clouds here are so defined and so clean. I could write about clouds alone for a whole page an a half. My eyes have been given an amazing treat considering all the beauty this island possesses. Anyways, it was the PERFECT morning at Halea'kala. Its recommended you go when it is a little cloudy so that its like the sun is creeping above the clouds into  super dramatic sunrise. The clouds in the distance change colors so quickly as the Sun begins to rise. The reflection turns the clouds in the distance a deep red color while the "bed" continues to stay a blueish, grey-white color. When the Sun actually begins to rise, the entire section of the volcano I was at got completely silent. You could hear pins and needles drop. Unbelievable. That moment alone with the Sun and God was something I don't even think I can do justice. It's a real sensory overload. You have the freezing cold, the colors of the clouds/sky/Sun, the freshness of the air...out of this world. You are having this super spiritual experience on top of the entire world and it feels as if you one with everything in the entire world. There is no way to explain the power and majesty the Sun has. Anyways, after that we walked around a bit and just took in the entire view. Some people choose to BIKE DOWN THE VOLCANO after the sunrise. A crazy thing that I may never understand. They bike from Halea'kala to Pa'ia on the same little windy roads that people drive on. Honestly, someone could die. I won't go into it, but know that is NOT for me.


 The beginning!

 The babushka's freezing their little tookus' off

 Cindy sent me the most AMAZING picture of me. This is absolutely incredible. Wrapped in my blanket watching the sunrise. This picture is worth a million words to me.

 A beauty. Look at those clouds! And the red volcanic rocks!!
 THE MOMENT THE SUN STARTED TO PEEK IN!

 I have the most insane bun here...wrapped in my sweatshirt hood, windbreaker hood and blanket on top. Whatever, LOOK AT THE CLOUDS!!!!!!!
  
 Survived Halea'kala!
 Cool rock. I'm not sure about me here...
 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IS THIS REAL LIFE?! PINCH ME.


 An endangered animals sign. If I were an endangered animal, I would live here too. 
 BOOM.
 The cool volcanic rock just perched on itself.
 I really like this one too. I am SO tired, but I don't know. I just like it.
 You can see the shadow of the volcano! How awesome is that. 
 Master photoshopper Cindy made this. 

A very dramatic experience and one that will most certainly last me a lifetime. Crazy peaceful and very zen. Unreal. Even in my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine watching a sunrise on top of a volcano. I am so blessed. I wish my eyes could take pictures....I really can't do justice.

 And I got to see the Lavender fields on my way to the Kula Lodge for breakfast! Killed two birds with one stone...
 Hidden restaurant?
 You can't really see here, but all those windows are floor to ceiling and have the most AMAZING view. 
 Best friend after being on top of the world.


Snapshot: I checked the temperature right before the sun began to come up...turns out it's warmer in Hawai'i before sunrise than it is in NY all day! There wasn't much wind so it wasn't as cold as it can get, but still freezing to me! Great. I will be an icicle when I return.

....see ya soon lovies. 




 MY 360 VIEW. UNREAL. I think it gives a better idea of the clouds. Check it out.

That's what I got. 


With warmest aloha,
MJ





Also, my friend has started calling me a "coconut". Really? ...Thanks Uci. 

No comments:

Post a Comment