Saturday, October 6, 2012

Aloha!
Today I was off! WOOHOO! Cindy and I made plans to meet up and go to the beach so by 9AM I was out of the Mill. I don't know what came over me today, but I felt like dressing up a bit/looking appropriate for public. Anyways, I had a bit of fushia lipstick & gloss, mascara, a little blush and a scarf in my hair. That's dressed up over here ahha.
 Beneath two mango trees on the front of my property. I managed to get my knees in there. Wasn't really intending on that....but I'll take it!
 Molly the Maui Mermaid is in full effect.

Anyways, Cindy picked me up in her awesome, giant truck and we were on our way! She noticed my lipstick and scarf immediately so I was way excited my efforts didn't go unnoticed. Sometimes it's as if only a woman would notice the little things you do for yourself, because I obviously wasn't dressing for anyone but myself. I digress... ANYWHO. We did a little beach workout (yay for working out!) on Baldwin. After these past few days of vog, we had one of the most spectacular days on the North Shore! Seriously, the first thing that Cindy the comedian said was: "Oh girl. What is this? Where are we? ...St. Barths?" LOL. The water was so clear and had that green/blue/dark blue tint running through it. You didn't even need snorkel gear to see the fish at the bottom! Unbelievable day. UNBELIEVABLE.  After our baby workout, we went to a quick breakfast in town at Mauna Cafe. It was my first time there and because I'm not really a breakfast person I had a side of bacon and small side of home fries. I LOVE BACON. Yesterday, Sylvia took me out to dinner and I had a burger...I can't remember the last time I had meat before that. They're trying to transform me into a Maui girl. Don't worry, I'll still be down for the rare plus steak when I return to NY. Count on it. 

St. Barths by the way of Maui...The water was unreal.

After breakfast we decided to head back to the beach. Rather than Baby Beach, we went to Baldwin in the hopes of it being a little quieter and more secluded so that we could just chill out and relax. It was one of the most beautiful days I've seen here. The water was flawless, the sun was strong and the wind wasn't being problematic at all. It was a perfect day and the only way it could have been any more perfect company would have been if Clarissa were there. MISS YOU BERNIE BERNZ. LOVE THE PHOTOS. SEND MORE. I AM OBSESSED (with myself ...and your absolutely incredible photo eye). 

 


 Oh wassup.

 This picture makes me crack up. We're such weirdos. 

Clarissa, Cindy has taken over your position as blog photographer. Although she doesn't have as much practice, I have faith she will be an excellent replacement. Real World: Haiku Mill ain't the same without ya boo.
Well after the beach, we went to grab a mid-day margarita. Li Hing Mui is my best friend so we went to Milagros because they are the only place I know that sells Li Hing Mui marg's. Well fortunate for us our waitress didn't let us know that margaritas are only $3 inside at the bar EVERYDAY 1-6pm. Best happy hour ever. Good thing we were sitting outside and had no idea that the drinks were cheaper. Thanks lady. I will only sit inside from now on and get my $3 drinks. I'm on a budget.
After Milagros, Cindy took me back to the Mill so I could get ready for Aloha Fridays in Wailuku! She had an appointment and I had intentions of going regardless if I had anyone to go with so I just ended up going alone. I had an awesome time! I really enjoy being with myself and my own company. I think I'm awesome and I don't care what anyone else thinks. Well, when I got there I found the most clutch parking spot and headed into the block party. Wailuku is maybe 35 minutes from Haiku and the only other time that I had been up that way was when I went to the Iao Valley. Wailuku First Friday is HUGE in comparison to Makawao. There are tens of hundreds of people, an assortment of food stands, a dj, 3 bands, a bier garden in honor of Ocktoberfest, dancers, so on and so forth. I even got a free fifteen minute massage (it was so good, bless her magic hands). I met a few guys and kicked it with them in the bier garden, walked on the street, had some kettle corn from the same Makawao guys, and a BBQ chicken skewer. Fun fact: the kettle korn guys recognized me walking by on the street by name and brought out a soccer ball for me to juggle. LOL. I'm so awful at juggling but I got up to 9 with no shoes on. WOOPWOOP. Wailuku was a really good time all around. I will only be able to make it to one more Wailuku Friday and I can't wait!

 Banyan Park. So packed.
 To my right...
 ...to my left.
I got there early. It got crazy packed and dark out. The entire place was stuffed with people. Also, as much as I like Bud Light (sue me) I would never take it over a Stella. WAHOO. Bier Garden! And all the staff was dressed in traditional gear. So cute.
These bracelets are the true sign of a Maui mermaid. Usually they are just white gold or yellow gold bangles with a shell, but I saw this one above and it was different. My wrists are tiny so I had to use the smallest one and the woman tightened it. I kind of wish I had gotten it for myself. Maybe before I leave I can get myself a present....if I can afford it ahah.

Finally, I feel like I actually have "friends". The guy who is renting me my OGBB (my car Old Gangsta Big Bernie, as dubbed by Cindy) invited me to Charley's because there was dancing there, Logan (who I met in Wailuku) invited me to his friend's party in Haiku and Clarissa (my real friend!) connected me with Cindy who is amazing. I don't feel alone anymore! ...but now I like being alone. ahaha.
Sidenote: they let kids and dogs run around in the back of pickup trucks. On my way home, I stopped at a light in Kahului I saw two little kids in the back of a truck waving frantically to get someone to wave back. I was the only person that waved. They literally waved at me down the entire street. So adorable. I remember being little and trying to get the truck guys to honk. It would make my day! Hopefully I made those little kids.
Also something completely random: The stars here are out of this world amazing. I have NEVER seen stars like this, and I doubt I ever will. We are in the middle of the Pacific in the middle of the green, wet part of Maui, with no lights anywhere. The sky is so beautiful and I'm actually a little upset it took me almost 23 years to see what a REAL sky looks like untouched. Yesterday I was looking up at the Milky Way and it was so clear. I couldn't even point out the Big Dipper and Little Dipper because there were too many stars that I was confusing it with. Unreal. The sky is amazing. I hope everyone can see it like I am. It's a hundred times more beautiful than anywhere I've ever seen them.

Tomorrow is wedding day here at the Mill! It will be the biggest one for me see thus far. So excited. Time for bed. It's 10:26 PM here. Night!


With warmest aloha,
MJ

ps. Is anyone obsessed with Miguel's album the way I am? I have three favorites that I canNOT get enough of.

1 comment:

  1. Biggest Bernie of all!Miss you too my friend! Love reading your blog posts, so happy for you that you are having an awesome time. Obsessed with your blog posts now ; ). xoxo the other Big Bernie.

    ReplyDelete